Friday, January 9, 2015

Getting Back on Track

I always hear remarks in the gym referring to someone else's weight or their ability to lift/run/work harder/faster/longer.  It gets old and here is why:  we can either choose to work to the best of our ability and leave everything in the gym or we can simply show up and phone our work out in.

The gym is a place for us to come to in order to leave better.  No matter what your fitness level, no matter your size or weight or lack of...if you are working your hardest, grunting and sweating and giving it everything you have, you are more likely to see the results you are looking for.

But there is a caveat - you simply can not out work what you eat.  They have to line up.  I have a simply philosophy -

1.  I don't want to kick my ass in the gym or on the road and negate it in the kitchen.  I choose my food based on fueling needs for my body.

2.  If I eat 80% correctly, then the other 20% when I don't will definitely not kill me!!

With that said, On Sunday Jan 4th, I knew that I needed to get back on track with my eating if I wanted to really get back to the fitness level that is best for me!  So I decided that I needed to simplify my eating (even further) and I have taken it to the next level.  My goal is go Paleo 6 days a week - with a few modifications.

Remember,  in order to have a lifetime of weight loss success, your plan has to be realistic. It is simply not realistic for me not to have coffee & creamer, or greek yogurt or....Wine (or a vodka martini).  So...those are my modifications!

An occasional glass won't kill me.


Here is how week one looked:

Breakfast:  Greek Yogurt

AM Snack:  3 oz of Chicken Breast
This actually breaks into 5 servings!!!
Lunch:  Apple with 3 oz of Chicken Breast (if I'm at the gym or store) OR a LARGE Salad with spinach, celery, carrots, radishes or Shakeology (Vegan Dark Chocolate is what I'm digging).


OR 

I just add 1 scoop to 6 oz of water.  My Friend Jen adds delicious peanut butter! 

PM Snack: Apple
Dinner:  4 egg whites with asaparagus, sun dried tomatoes, jalepanoes and fresh pico de gallo on top!  Delish!

Yes...I eat the same thing about 6 days a week - boring?  No, at least not for me.  I discovered years ago, that if I could keep my choices simple that I wouldn't blow my work outs with poor food choices.  It helps keep me on track.  Do I enjoy what I eat??  Yes, because I'm pretty much a creature of habit.

It's a different story if I go out to eat (that's another blog post).  I do cook differently for the men in my house - spaghetti, tacos, meatloaf, crockpot recipes galore.  But they need a different kind of fuel.
Here's how I am changing it up tho:

Breakfast:  3 oz of Chicken Breas
AM Snack:  Apple
Lunch:  Shakeology
PM Snack: Greek Yogurt
Dinner:  my usual egg white concoction - sorry, I really do love it and it requires absolutely no thought on my part.

OK - I didn't change it up - I just moved my foods around based on my running training.  Don't judge me.

Everyone asks what I take on the road -  I love these single servings of Tuna - they may not be 100% paleo, but remember what I said - 80%!!!


Having experimented with nutrition for the past 7 years, I have discovered what works best for my body, best for my runs and best for my weight lifting and active lifestyle.  That is what sets you up for a lifetime of weight loss success.  Finding what works, keeping it basic and simple but yet enjoying a good meal out, or a nice gluten free pizza from Joe Mama's on date night every once in a while.

What are some of your go tos?  What goals have  you set for the upcoming year?  Did you make a plan or do you just plan to wing it?



Post a Comment