Monday, June 26, 2017

I'm Back!

Yes, it's been awhile since I've blogged.  But life gets in the way sometimes - what's a girl to do?  Anyway, I could give you this amazingly boring recap of what's been going on in the past two years, but I won't.  I will however, share with you on this Motivational Monday (who started that anyway?), who I got to watch and cheer on yesterday!!

Even if you are not a runner, you must likely have heard of the New York City Marathon.  For me, it is a bucket list item that I would love to check off sometime.  I have a friend running it this upcoming November with her husband.  He is running for Team for Kids and has to raise $2500 by the end of October.  Team for Kids supports the NYRR Youth Programs which brings free running and fitness programs to students across the country.  You've been living under a rock if you aren't aware of the state of most public schools - underfunded in so many arenas and some of those cuts include removing recess, gym time and even after school athletics.

NYRR Youth Programs offers a free youth fitness program to schools, community centers and participants.  It's a great program that helps kids fall in love with running, offering curriculum, coaching and rewards!  If you fill like it's worth it, I'd love you to drop a little donation on my friend Kevin and support him as he trains to cross the finish line for this great organization.  The link to donate or to learn more is here. 

His first fundraiser was 25/25/625.  He was going to run 25k for $25 in donations on 6/25.  Clever, heh?  I really wanted to run a leg of it with him but since I just started my training after a year off...that wasn't really a good plan for either of us so I joined my friend in the sag wagon for cheer squad!  They rounded up pacers for each 5k leg of his 25K.  With the route planned, we met up at Riverwest Festival Park and sent Kevin off on his first 5k.



After his first solo 5k, the running friends started showing up - the weather was great, the company good and the cheer squad solid!  


For the 3rd 5k, he got two pacers.  


For the 4th leg, he was back down to one.  But first, a little re-fuel.  






Leg 5: Another friend to join the fun!!


Finish line!! 


Great job Kev!!  Amy and I held on and cheered him in good and strong.  I think it is great motivation watching someone else run a long distance in an effort to help out a worthy cause.  I'll keep Kevin's hard work in mind today to motivate me as I tackle getting back into my run training!!  Why do you run?

No comments: