Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Becky’s Bridal Boot Camp


Every time I turn on my phone, my little widget reminder on my so cool droid tells me how many days are left till my oldest daughter’s big W!  84 days from the day I’m writing this – not necessarily posting!  And I realize that as I’m hitting it harder in the gym with the weights to get the perfect arms, the perfect flat, toned belly, that there are a lot of others that are getting ready for a very big day in their life as well.  And while you may not necessarily be getting ready for your W, or someone else’s W, you may be getting ready for a big R (reunion) or D (date) or what about L (life in general).  So I’ve generated this little diddy that I’ll lovingly refer to as Becky’s Bridal Boot Camp! 
This is different from my usual challenges (which are basically a 1 day kill you session) as that this challenge is based on a 6 day workout.  You can recycle it over and over until your day!!

This is pretty simple and straight forward.  You are going to want to do at least a 45 minute hard core cardio workout either at the end or the beginning.  New studies out show that cardio after a strength training session is most beneficial (heart wise, weight loss wise, etc) but some just can’t handle cardio after a hard “give it your all” strength training session.  Whether you begin with your cardio or end with your cardio, make it a hard enough session to sweat, get your heart rate up and drop some poundage.

CARDIO: minimum 45 minutes – every day. 

On Mondays and Thursdays - train chest, shoulders, triceps:

Dumbbell bench press 4 sets of 8 to 12 reps
Inclined flies 4 sets of 8 to 12 reps
Lateral raises 4 sets of 8 to 12 reps
Front raises 4 sets of 8 to 12 reps
Triceps kickbacks 4 sets of 8 to 12 reps

On Tuesdays and Fridays - train back and biceps

One-arm rows 4 sets of 8 to 12 reps
Bent-over rows 4 sets of 8 to 12 reps
Standing curls 4 sets of 8 to 12 reps

On Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, you are going to hit the abs hard.  Remember some of those hard core abs I introduced you to before?  Here they are again:

25 crunchy Frogs
25 bicycles
25 reverse bicycles
50 mason twists with 15 lb weight
25 heels to heaven
50 BJ Penn Twists
50 kettlebell swings (minimum of 15 lb)
25 ab snails
50 wood choppers (minimum of 15 lb weights)
5 minute planks
            1 min traditional
            30 sec each side plank
            1 min traditional
            30 sec each side plank with dips
            1 min traditional with 30 sec each leg left
            1 min traditional plank ending with 15 plank jacks

I suggest you youtube whatever exercise you don’t know (or look through the blog to see if I have any links posted for you). 

And yes, Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays are going to suck.  Did you expect this to be fun?  You have a wedding to get ready for!!!  

1 comment:

Tiny Dangerous One said...

As we both are personal trainers, we know that developing a strong core is essential to a strong, healthy body. These "abs" are more core focused - we can call them "gumbies" for all I care but they are essential to a healthy, strong body.