Monday, January 23, 2012

What's Your Story?

Everyone has a story.  Some have figured out parts of it, others have no clue what I'm even talking about.  But in my world - which is all about me sometimes - everyone has a story and it is their job to share it with those that will glean wisdom from it.

I've been asked a jillion times about my story.  But I have lots of "my stories".  The one people like to hear the most is about my health, eating, running and balance of spirituality of it how.  And since this blog is basically about fitness, health, and such....then I'm assuming that should be the story I share here.

However, my story is long and complex and can not be summarized into a simple, short, boring blog.  I can hit some highlights tho....

Approximately 3 years ago, I decided that I wanted to be at peace with myself.

After all, I avoided cameras, social settings and well lit rooms.  I constantly looked at others and instantly hated myself.

with my grand baby about 4 years ago



This is about the only picture I have and I cropped it at the time so that you couldn't see the rest of my body.

I realized when looking through pictures one day, that if I died, my children might not remember what I looked like since I was the one constantly hiding behind a camera (Is this you?).  

I kept thinking short hair would make me look thinner.  It doesn't.


I'm 5"2 and was weighing in at 152 lbs.  I ate fairly health - I never ate junk food and definitely didn't drink soda pop or juices.

But I was still miserable.  And God created me and why didn't I like His creation?  He doesn't make mistakes, and I needed to find the part of me that I could appreciate.  

So I began eating clean and walking.  Which became running.  Which became a half marathon.  I totally skipped the 5ks and 10ks.  I threw in a 10 miler (which I adore).  

I began to study and research and educate myself on food.  First and foremost, the food that God created for us to eat.  And then the food that man decided to manipulate.  I learned the differences.  I personally prefer God's food.  

I began to study, research and educate myself on running, gear, technique, and all that it means.  The more I learned, the more I was inspired to run.  

1 year after learning how to run (at the age of 43), I ran my first duathlon.   

My friend, the Gazelle, who convinced it would be fun. 
If you've never done a duathlon - it's a run,bike,run.  I hated it.  I loved it.

Then a couple of months later, I ran my first half.






First half medal with Perfect Pacer.  And I'm smiling. 
Running the half, made me realize that I could accomplishment anything I wanted to.  It made me realize that my body was indeed not my enemy but was instead, an amazing tool that I had to treat properly to make it run/work with excellence.  

Since then, I've run several 10ks, a full and another half.  


Finish line at the Route 66 Half Marathon




San Antonio R&R Full Marathon
Running has taught me many lessons about myself as well as others.  It has helped me connect with my Creator in a way I never thought possible.  It has given me peace and comfort about myself and has even given a new cool aspect to my relationship with my Perfect Pacer.  

And now, I actually like being in pictures.  So what's your story?

No comments: