Thursday, September 6, 2012

Adventures in India - Part 7


03/09/2012
                  Had another busy week. It wasn’t quite busy as last week, but there was still a lot going on. Monday, we got to go to the American Embassy. A family that goes to our church had free passes, so we got to go and hang out with them. I got to wear shorts and a t-shirt which felt amazing and for lunch J and I both got beef and Dr. Peppers, which made the experience all the more better haha. After that we went to visit a Muslim family. They live near India gate and their house is attached to a mosque, which was so so cool to see! They had lots of kids running around in their house and the cutest little baby. She had the cutest facial expressions and I really enjoyed playing with her while the rest of em chatted in Hindi. Tuesday, we did something that evening, but I don’t remember what it was haha. Everything is just kinda blurring together now. Wednesday, we got up early and went to the girls’ home again. We had so much fun playing games and dancing! One girl was getting down too. It made my heart happy to see them happy and having so much fun. One girl there, was in 10th grade and could speak very good English, so her and I got to talk a lot. She was telling me she gets to go home in 16 days and she was so excited because she missed her mom and loved her very much. After that we visited the family J lived with her first 2 months in India. We were very tired when we got there, and Auntie insisted we take a nap, so we got to rest for a little then visit more. While we were there I had my very first squatty potty experience. It’s exactly like going in the woods haha (camp Eagle anyone???). I got to meet Auntie’s son. He is about 10 years old and autistic. He can’t walk or speak, but when we walked in and started talking to him, he was smiling from ear to ear the whole time, which really warmed my heart. That night we had bible study, and took a friend from the Congo with us. Wednesday was a very long day for us, but a very good day.
                  Thursday was a fun day for us. Some of the girls from J’s company were leaving for a cruise, and meeting in Delhi, so one of em was with us all day, and she was so much fun! Very outgoing and definitely doesn’t care what other people think haha it was an interesting day. We 3, plus their language helper all went to Chili’s (nomz) then we watched Batman. It was even better the 2nd time. We just chilled at the house after that and waited for the other 2 girls going on the cruise to get there. Friday, I had my first language lesson and it was so much fun! I learned how to count as well as greetings and how to talk to the auto drivers. That night, we had dinner with the Gs (the couple that grew up and graduated with my mom and her brothers and sisters). They had many good things to say about my mom and her siblings. I really enjoyed talking to them and spending time with them. Saturday, I taught the English class and this time we had over twice as many women as last week. They all did very well and they are catching on very very quickly.  Saturday night, the R’s daughter, K had her 16th birthday party. It was 50’s themed and very entertaining. They had their house all decked out and decorated with a milkshake bar, 50’s music, and a “drive-in” theater. Most of the kids there I had met when I went to Youth Alive with K’s brother, so it was fun getting to see all of them again.  Sunday, J took one of our girls from the slum to a Hindi church and I took 2 of our friends to our church with me. Sunday night, we had dinner with a girl from J’s company. She was so much fun and from Texas, so it was nice being able to tell her where I was from and she actually know haha.
                  Today we went back to the Good News Center. We took the metro and while switching from one to the other, J’s wallet was stolen. Luckily, her advisor uses the same bank, so she was able to get more money tonight, but it still stunk. Luckily, her camera and phone were still in there and she didn’t have much cash in her wallet either. I also, got to talk to my parents today and found out that my uncle got out of the hospital either Thursday or Friday and he’s doing very good. Mom said he was able to get up and down the stairs at his apartment fairly easily. Keep praying for his recovery though.
                  I only have 3 weeks left here and I’m not sure how I feel about that. I miss my family and friends, but I’m finally starting to get used to it here and make friends and I have fallen in love with the people we work with and encounter from day to day. I know it’s gonna go by so quickly, and I just pray that I am able to make the most of what little time I do have left. I can’t wait to see what God has in store for me for the rest of this experience!


                  Thanks for the support and prayers. 143!

No comments: