Friday, May 20, 2011

Ipod or No Ipod? That is the Question!


What role (if any) does music play with your training and your runs?  

I'm always being asked what is on my playlist - mostly by younger people who know that in my real life, I'm a youth director.  I think it's because they just can't imagine any good, spiritual music that one could run to!  Sometimes I am hesitant to share the list because people tend to judge  - so all I ask is...

Don't Judge Me!


I have several play lists that I use in running.  I have a training list, which consists of a varied genre of music with different beats for pacing reasons, then I have an interval training list (made more for HIIT training) and then I have the race list (only the fastest, most motivating songs make this list). 

Music is key in my runs, in fact, I cannot run or bike without the Ipod.  I understand that there is quite the different opinion about whether runners should have music or learn to run with nature, but for me – (ADD and OCD) the music helps me focus, persevere, complete and even connects me with God.  And most of my runs, are all about God. 

I recently asked a new run friend (she’s new to running and a new friend) if she wanted to know what I ran to (she’s also a believer and we are also looking for fast Christian run music). So… here’s just a few of what you’ll find on my main training list (where there are questionable lyrics, I only download the clean version):

Rolling in the Deep – Adele
What the Hell – Avril Lavigne
Million Voices – Barlow Girl
Just Can’t Get Enough – Black Eyed Peas
I Gotta Feeling – Black Eyed Peas
1985 – Bowling for Soup
What if His People Prayed – Casting Crowns
Song of Hope – Chris Clayton
Can’t Hold Us Down – Christina Aguilera
Just the girl – Click Five
Forever and Ever Etc – David Crowder Band
Revolutionary Love – David Crowder Band
No One Like You – David Crowder Band
Coming Home – Diddy
Not Afraid – Eminem
Tonight I’m Lovin You – Enrique Iglesias
Dance, Dance – Fall Out Boy
Rocketeer – Far East Movement
Undone – FFH
Club Can’t Handle Me Now – Flo Rida
Fully Alive – Flyleaf
Breathe Today – Flyleaf
How to Save a Life – The Fray
Ohh Ahh – Grits
Crazy Love – Hawk Nelson
This is It – Jonah 33
Solution – Jonah 33
Mystery – Jonah 33
My Love – Justin Timberlake
Teenage Dream – Katy Perry
Firework – Katy Perry
Your Love is My Drug – Kesha
Tik Tok – Kesha
Take it off – Kesha
Animal – Kesha
Blow – Kesha
We R Who We R – Kesha
Can I be honest – KJ-52
Daddy’s Girl – KJ-52
Paprazzi – Lady Gaga
Reaching for You – Lincoln Brewster
Today is the Day – Lincoln Brewster
Everywhere I go - Lincoln Brewster
Salvation is Here - Lincoln Brewster
Ay Yo – Meanie Fiona
Like Like We’re Alive – Nevertheless
Far Away – Nickleback
Smells like Teen Spirit – Nirvana
StopStop and Stare – One Republic
Apologize - One Republic
All the Right Moves - One Republic
Secrets - One Republic
Good Life - One Republic
Fireflies – Owl City
Perfect (clean) – Pink
Funhouse (clean) – Pink
So What (clean) – Pink
Sober (clean) – Pink
Please Don’t Leave me (clean) – Pink
It’s All Your Fault  (clean) – Pink
Hey Baby – Pitbull
More than Useless – Reliant K
Blink – Blink
S&M - Rihanna
Only Girl – Rihanna
Lead Me – Sanctus Real
For the First Time – The Script
Awake & Alive – Skillet
Rebirthing – Skiller
Your Love Goes on Forever – SonicFlood
I want to Know You – Sonic Flood
Activate – Stellar Kart
Easier than Love – Switchfoot
We are one tonight – switchfood
Awakening – Switchfood
Dynamite – TAioCruz
For You I Will – Teddy Geiger
Lift Up Your Face – Third Day
Tunnel – Third Day
I can Feel It – Third Day
Written in the Stars (clean)– Tinie Tempah
Made to Love You – Toby Mac
Burn for You - Toby Mac
More – Usher

PLUS – a whole lot more!  The songs that are italicized are Christian  - I wanted to make it easy for you to find good Christian running songs.  All these songs are at different paces but usually have some significance for being on my list.  All I ask, is that you don’t judge me! 


1 comment:

Holley @ Lunges and Lashes said...

i love music for when i need to push myself but on long runs i love to just get lost in my mind and zone out! thanks for the good tips!