Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Tuesday Challenge, May 10, 2011



Totally excited about Tuesday’s Challenge this week – not because of the Challenge but because of the couple of days leading up to Tuesday!  I love it when clients and friends share their health makeover success stories with me.  It gives me such encouragement and makes me feel like a proud “mama” – sometimes, I think I may actually be more excited about their achievements then they are.

Last night I received a text from a dear friend who I’ve been coaching via text for a couple of weeks now – his nutrition and workout where just not helping him achieve the results he needed and since he lives a couple of hours away, I’ve been coaching him via text.  Long story short, he texted me his latest success (15 lbs in 2 weeks)!  But more importantly, he shared that his weight struggle has been a 10 year long process and he was now figuring it out – that’s the excitement part for me.  Once we figure it out, it makes sense and we are able to make a complete lifestyle change instead of living a diet regimen. 

It’s a  mental switch that has to go off for us  in order to truly understand how our bodies respond to physical exercise and food and which foods make it respond a certain way and which exercise brings us the kind of results we want.  It also made me excited because I have been on my own journey of the same kind and I think it helps us when those of us who have similar struggles share the ups and downs of the journey.  That’s how we learn and that’s how we find support. 

So this Tuesday Challenge is dedicated to my friend (I have more then one, however,  this one is his).  I can’t take complete credit for it as it was spotlighted on this morning’s post of Active.com.  This challenge is perfect for those of you without access to a gym.  You will perform the following circuit between 1 mile runs.  And no, you don’t need a track.  My spousal unit and I have often been seen doing these exercises on the sidewalk at our one mile run spot. 

Tuesday Challenge
Run 1 mile – then do 1 circuit.  You will complete this four times (resulting in four miles ran).  Perform these exercises as a circuit. Walk one minute only after completing all four, before starting your next mile run.

1. Jumping jacks (60 seconds)
2. Spider-man pushups (until failure)
As you lower your body, swing your right leg out to touch your right knee to your right elbow. Reverse the movement and push up. Alternate sides.
3. Reverse lunge (15 reps per leg)
Stand tall, hands behind your ears. Step back with one leg, and lower your body until your front knee is bent 90 degrees. Pause. Push up quickly. Do all reps, then switch legs.
4. Squat thrust (8 reps)
Squat, put your hands on the floor, and kick your legs into pushup position. Quickly reverse the move. Repeat.
5. Burpees – (15 reps)

No comments: