Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Tuesday Update



No, this is not your challenge.  This is a picture of something I found in the gym the other night.  And no, it is not a pile of poop.  It is a sweet little bat, spread out, hanging on and in fear of his/her life.  A lady removed it after she heard me exclaim "bat, bat, bat, bat".  Her exact words were "I've been vaccinated, I'll take care of it".  I'm not sure what was funnier - her response or the fact that we found the bat. 


Okay, now on to what your waiting for...
Monday was the official first day of training of marathon training.   An easy 5 miles at pace.  I've decided to use the Hal Higdon method, seems that it will be the most sane and injury proof plan.  Basically you run for 10 minutes, then walk for 1 minute OR you run for 1 mile, then walk for 1 minute.  But being the overachiever that I am, I run for 1 mile and walk for ONLY 30 seconds.  At this point, I just don't feel that I need the whole minute and I figure I really need to keep my time going good and strong for at least the first half.  I made it in 46 minutes.  


In the meantime, I also came up with a challenge for you - which I've been doing when I'm done with my training runs.  So for you - you get to see if you can meet the challenge with me: 


This is a great Core and Ab challenge.  You combine it with Cardio for an amazing all over burn and workout!  I suggest you start with a steady pace of 3 miles either on the road or on the treadmill at a 7% incline.  Then move onto the Core and Ab Challenge.  I plan to do these for a couple of weeks just to mix it up from my normal ab routine.  


You do this first part with Kettlebell weights.  I like the 15 to 20 lbs one.  



Around-the-Body-Pass; 20 Reps [Reverse at 10]
 
Bent Row; 20 Reps 

Dead Lift; 20 Reps

Figure 8; 20 Reps [Reverse at 10]

Half-get-up; 20 Reps [10 each side] 

Swing; 20 Reps 

Front Squat; 20 Reps

Windmill; 20 Reps [10 each side]
halo

Next you are going to want to step it up and do the following section in 20 second intervals - you want to do as many of each exercise as you can in the 20 seconds.  This is when you need to use your interval timer or your stop watch on your watch or Ipod.   I suggest you record the number of reps you do, so the next time, you can surpass them.  

I use a weighted exercise ball for these.  You can youtube all of these exercises (and the ones above as well). 

            WOOD CHOPS - LEFT SIDE
 max. reps
            WOOD CHOPS - RIGHT SIDE 
max. reps
            BURPEES WITH FITNESS BALL 
max. reps
            SPRINT LUNGES
 max. reps
            BALL CLIMBERS
 max. reps
            TOSS AND CATCH THE FITNESS BALL
 max. reps

That's it for this week's challenge.  You'll feel it, I certainly do but you will feel very BEASTLY when you finish.  Remember that it is about accepting the challenge and completing the challenge.  

Good luck!

No comments: