Thursday, September 29, 2011

Warrior Workout!

Feeling like a warrior lately? I have been. I’ve actually had to take it easy the past couple of weeks due to ITB (knee) problems and it’s really messed with me mentally. When preparing for a marathon, a lot of mental work is involved with the physical training – being able to push through small aches & pains, figuring out the correct amount of proteins & carbs for fueling purposes and having the self confidence to simply complete the darn thing.

Taking time off from such rigorous training has caused me great angst and anxiety. My self-confidence has dropped, my crankiness has overwhelmed me (and those around me, I assume) and I am itchy (to run).

The past couple of days, I’ve been able to hit the road with my favorite pacer (aka spousal unit) and have gotten some good interval sets in on the treadmill. I’m not feeling 100% yet but it has nothing to do with the knees. It has to do with mental work – I fatigued on the way up the 1 ½ mile incline on a simple, late night 3 miler and was overwhelmed that I had lost so much of my mental game.

But today I feel as if the TDO (tiny dangerous one) is back! My warrior mentality is back today and so I thought I’d post a good ole Warrior Workout for you!


This workout is set for every other day – it is definitely not an every day program.

Run 2 miles/day/goal of 8:40 pace
Pushups: 4 sets of 15
Situps: 4 sets of 20
Pullups: 3 sets of 3 (can be assisted)
Burpees: 25
Mountain Climbers: 25
Weighted Mason Twists: 50 (use at least a 10 lb)
Suitcase Abs: 25
Heels to the Heaven: 25
Bicycles: 50
Lunges: 10 (with handweights – 10 lbs)

Yep, that’s it. A nice Warrior Workout! Your gonna freak once I start preparing for our Tough Mudders and Warrior Dashes and Spartan Death Races! Wait till you see those workouts!

Good luck, have a great week!

No comments: